The head of the UN monitoring team in Yemen’s Hodeidah intends to leave his position, Al Arabiya’s New York correspondent reported.
Retired Dutch general Patrick Cammaert and his team arrived in Hodeidah last month to oversee the ceasefire agreed upon by Yemen’s government and the Houthi rebels at talks in Sweden earlier in December. He is the UN-designated chair of a Redeployment Coordination Committee, comprised of government and rebel representatives, set up to monitor its implementation.
Sources who spoke to Al Arabiya’s correspondent said that Cammaert’s resignation was accepted but the he would remain in his position until his replacement arrives in Yemen.
Yemeni government officials also told The National that differences between Mr Cammaert and the UN special envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, over dealings with the rebels had pushed him to resign.
“The various obstacles faced by General Cammaert, and the lack of cooperation by Mr Griffiths has created differences between the two officials, prompting General Cammaert to resign from his mission in Yemen,” the officials said.
However, a UN spokesperson says that the Chair of the Redeployment Coordination Committee General Patrick Cammaert continues his work in Yemen, denying media reports of him leaving his post.
The news comes after Houthi militias opened fire on Patrick Cammaert and his team last Thursday in the Red Sea port city.
The UN’s spokesperson tweeted at the time confirming the safety of the UN team but said that the incident is “a dangerous development.”