The European Union placed two Iranians and Iran’s military intelligence service on the European terrorism list after it was revealed that Iran was likely responsible for two murders in the Netherlands, NU.nl reports.
On Tuesday Ministers Stef Blok of Foreign Affairs and Kasja Ollongren of Home Affairs revealed that Iran was almost certainly involved in two assassinations of Dutch-Iranian men in the Netherlands. Dutch intelligence service AIVD has strong indications of the country’s involvement in the murders of Mohammad Samadi in Almere in 2015 and Ahmad Nissi in The Hague in 2017.
The Ministers also announced that the EU took sanctions against the Iranian intelligence service and the two Iranians. The murders were also the reason for two Iranian diplomats being deported from the Netherlands in June last year.
“These listings have been adopted by the Council as part of its response to recent foiled attacks on the European soil,” it is said in an statement on Wednesday.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi called the EU’s actions “illogical” and “surprising,” Reuters reported.
“Iran will adopt the necessary measures in response to this move and within the framework of reciprocation,” Qassemi said in a statement published on the ministry’s official website.
Iran has denied any involvement in the alleged plots, saying the accusations were intended to damage EU-Iran relations.
Qassemi, in his statement, accused the EU of supporting “terrorist groups” such as the Mujahedin-e-Khalq Organization (MKO), a group that seeks to overthrow the Iranian government.